Wednesday, May 14, 2008

5 Faces of Oppression

After reading the five faces of oppression, I can truely say that I agree with alot things that Irish Young was stating in the reading. I feel that the faces make solid arguments and back them up with soild information. Exploitation to me made alot of sense because people of color an the working class have been exploited for a while now and it is becoming more obvious every day. A statement that stood out to me was when young said "where ever there is racism, there is the assumption more or less enforced that memebers of the oppressed racial groups are or ought to be servents". I agree with this statement because this is how people of color have been looked upon ever since the slavery days and even after that. When I read about marginalization it reminded me of people that cannot go to college because of the SAT. Marginalization talks about blocked opportunities an that is exactly what the SAT does to minorities. I know too many people that could not get a college education because of the SAT an in result they had to be a "nonprofessional" as young would call it. I think that powerlessness ties into marginalization because they both talk about blocked opportunities and how people of color suffer from being a nonprofessional.

No comments: