Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Tough Guise

They movie Tough Guise was a good movie that young men should watch and focus on. The video shows how media and certain images corrupt society today. The main ideology that is being corrupted is the image of a “real man”. As a child growing up I was always thought that a “real man” was someone who takes care of business, and his family. These days, the ideal real man needs a gun, he needs to sale drugs and he needs respect. Where I grew up at, this is ideal real man is who everyone wants to be like and that is sad. But what can you do when there is few positive role models these days and to top it off, the media makes it even worst by glorifying the bad guy.

When I seen the title of the movie I thought to myself, why is guise spelled that way? Before the movie came one I though it was “Tough Guys” instead of the other spelling. After watching the movie I realized why it is spelled that way. The media is portraying an image that is a disguise. Half of these “tough guys” that you see on TV are not so tough when the cameras are turned off. This is bad because kids actually think the world of these “tough Guise” and the worst part is that these kids often imitate what they see the tough guys do.

A strong quote that I took from the movie was when the commentator dwelled on the topic about how pop culture glorifies respect. Most tough guy movies portray the image that you will only get respect by disrespecting someone else. This alone has gotten many teens killed and harmed. Another good point that I received from the movie is how there is very few movies that display vulnerability. I feel that this is why this country is so violent because all you see is violence. It is sad because when a man shows his vulnerable side, he is considered a “faggot”, “queer”, or less of a man which forces men to always put this tough guy disguise on.

No comments: