Friday, May 16, 2008

Racial Formation

Racial formation to me was another way to try to organize the way we look at race. The book said that from a racial formation perspective, "race is a matter of social structure an cultural representation". The quote its self is full of stereotype to me because if your going to figure out what is race based on these two aspects you will have to be judgmental an you will have to stereotype. Social structure to me is questioning how you live your life and who do you associate with. Cultural representation to me is questioning where you are from, you background and your nationality.

For every race there is a stereotype comment that can be said and that is sad. I feel that race should not be judge it should be evaluated.
Every white person you see is not a racists and every black person you meet does not steal. I feel that every individual has his/her own race and it is on them to determine how they want to represent it. If you are ignorant that is how you will be judge and stereotyped. In the book, Charles Murray said that “race is not a morally dismissible reason for treating one person differently form another”. I disagree with that quote for the fact that people do not just wake up in the morning and decide to dislike or question a certain individual based on his/her race.

Another line that is frequently used by many people including myself that the book stated is “funny, you don’t look black”. (Black can be replaced with white, Asian, Native American, etc.) I can not count how times I have used this line and never knew that I was stereotyping what a certain race is suppose to look like. Who gives anybody the right to define what black or white person is suppose to look like? I never looked at it in that perspective when I used to say that but now I see.

No comments: