Thursday, June 12, 2008

Failure to transform

This section is talking about homophobia within the black community. I thought it was interesting that the author herself is a black woman who is also a lesbian. She first explains that homophobia within the black community cannot be blamed on the whites. She believes it is the responsibility of the black community to admit their faults and choose to transform. She explained that African Americans after WWII began rejecting all “white values”. Manlihood or male supremacy was one of the white values that black people held onto. This can be seen as on of the reasons for homophobia. The author feels it is wrong to view homosexual lifestyles as a threat to the continued existence. Although homosexuals cannot reproduce with each other, most of them are still raising children. She also doesn’t think it is right to say the ultimate goal of families is to reproduce. I do agree with that. People should be able to do what they want to. Although I would not choose the homosexual lifestyle, I don’t look down upon those who do. I thought it was really interesting to hear the perspective of a black lesbian woman. I don’t personally understand why women choose to be lesbian so I liked reading about her viewpoints.

No comments: