Thursday, June 12, 2008

opression: marilyn fry

When we as color people are not cheerful are smiling, we tend to scare people away. But we as color people always have to put that smile on just to get by because if we don’t, we won’t get by. I really enjoyed her writing because I feel that the author tells it how it is. Throughout the chapter, she challenges the thought that you do not have to be a person of color to be oppressed. She states that “human beings can be miserable without being oppressed and it is perfectly consistent to deny that a person or group is oppressed with denying that they have feelings or those that suffered”. The way that she put that opened me up to different views of oppression. Later on in the chapter she breaks down the word oppression into the word press. When she did this, the word oppression started to make a lot more sense to me. Another good quote that moved me was when she said that “it is often a requirement upon oppressed people that we smile and be cheerful”. I agree with that statement 100% because

No comments: