Thursday, June 12, 2008

How men have sex

The little story at the beginning about the creatures who were many different sexes was really weird to me. It was crazy when he author explained that the creatures he was describing were really us. It is hard for me to understand the concept because I thought most human beings were distinctly male or female at birth. John Stonlenberg explains that instead, human beings are a mulitsexed species. Another thing that caught my attention was when he explained that the idea of the male sex is not real. The male sex is nonexistent. It has been socially constructed not chosen by human nature. I like how he addressed the issue of rape by questioning why “some of us with penises” feel they can do it. He explains one reason for sexual violence by men is because they have to prove their manliness so the lie of the male race seems true. I don’t agree with everything he says, although some of the points sound convincing. I do believe that there is a male and female sex and that certain people do belong in these categories.

No comments: