Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Sexual violence as a tool of genocide

In the opening statement of the book it stated “rape is nothing more or less than a concious process of intimidation by which all men keep all women in a state of fear”. I would of fully agreed with the statement if it said some men. To me it slandered all men because it used the word “all’. It made it seem like if men wanted to they could just go out an rape any women. Besides that statement the rest of the chapter was very interesting. One qoute that caught my attention was the comparison between the “dirty Indian” and a prositute. It talked about how a prositute could never be raped and in relation, an Indian basically had just as much respect as a prositute.
As I read this I could not believe some of the things that were said. Before this class I never knew that white people had that much hate for Native people. Even people that are suppose to be looked at as leaders in the public eye were talkin bad about native people. For example, the finance minister Jim Flaherty stated that Native people were not real people. When I read that I thought to myself, “that didn’t make any sense at all”. It just goes to show how ignorant people can be sometime. As the chapter went on it began to talk about people from austrailia called the Aborignal people.
I personnally have never heard of these people before, but after I read about them I rather not learn anything about them. These people think that rape is traditional and morally correct. When I read this I could not believe what I was reading. It is sad to know that there are people in the world that live like and think this way.

No comments: