Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Rape of the land

This chapter made a lot of issues between whites and natives more understandable to me. It is clear that greed and selffishness are charteristics of white people when these issues where going on. In the chapter it stated that a government offical stated that “ to leave them in possesion of their country was to leave the country a wilderness”. The key word I pulled out of that quote was “their”. Last time I checked, people could do what ever they wanted with what belonged to them. It just goes to show how people with power like to pick on and basically bully those of lesser power.

A quote that mad me upset was when another government offical, John Eidsmoe said that “native people did not privatize land and since these communities had not been established by God, Europeans had a right to seize the land”. This man had the adasity to bring God into this to justify the wrong doing that the Europeans were doing. An to top it off, later in that same pharagraph he basically amitted that christianity was forced on Native people but “millions of people are in heaven today as a result”. Wow was the first word I said out loud in my room after I read that. To me, he just made the genocide that happen to the native people seem like a big joke.

No comments: