Thursday, June 12, 2008

Privilege

Alison bouley describes how important it is to understand the role of privilege to truly understand what oppression means. When explaining oppression, I liked how she wants us to focus on the pig picture. Many people look at individual acts of oppression and are unable to see the true systemic cause of racism or sexism. I also liked how she clarified the difference between oppression and harm. “All persons who are oppressed are in some way harmed but not all persons who are harmed are oppressed”. Sometimes white students think black students have privilege because they get minority scholarship benefits and they may feel harmed by that. It upsets me when people say we are privileged because of the scholarship programs for minorities. I personally know what it feels like to be discriminated and denied certain opportunities because of the color of my skin and there is nothing I can do about it.

No comments: